Explore science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) with these fun at-home challenges.
STEM At-Home Challenges
- Stop Motion Animation Challenge: Learn how to plan and make a stop animation film using a free app.
- Food Science Breadmaking Challenge: Learn about the basic chemistry at work in baking bread (and enjoy the treat you make).
- 3-D Printing Design Challenge: Learn to use Tinkercad to design a useful object that could be 3-D printed.
- Bird Identification Challenge: Learn to use your observation skills to spot and identify birds.
- Plant Observation Challenge: Learn about and record seasonal plant changes from your own yard.
- Bridge Building Challenge: Build and “bust” bridges out of paper, building bricks or Popsicle sticks.
- Junk Drawer Mechanics Challenge: Design and build your own moving vehicle with junk drawer and household items.
- Paper Roller Coaster Challenge: Design and build a paper marble maze coaster.
- Rube Goldberg Challenge: Build your own chain reaction contraption with supplies from around your house.
- Computer Coding Challenge: Explore the world of Scratch coding to create a cool animation project using free software.
Content created by Amy Henschen and Donna Nuger, Extension Educators, DuPage, Kane and Kendall Counties.