As a first-year member, learn about the many 4-H project areas, complete a mini-project, learn about your new club, and involve your family and friends in 4-H.
Show Your Skills
- Complete the “Getting to Know You” activity in the Welcome to 4-H Member Guide, and create a display of your favorite items
- Track your “healthy habits” for a week and share your favorite ways to exercise
- Create a windowsill garden and display the results Service and Leadership
- Create a card for a nursing home resident
- Help at a community garden
- Share a healthy snack you made with a friend or neighbor
- Create a display for school or a library about how to join your 4-H club
- Participate in a 4-H radio promotion • Assist in setting up and/or cleaning up for a 4-H event Entrepreneurship
- Care for pets while friends or neighbors are on vacation
- Assist with watering plants and caring for lawns or gardens
- Illinois 4-H YouTube channel
Connecting with a Mentor
- 4-H club leader
- 4-H Teen Teachers and 4-H junior leaders
- 4-H Extension program coordinator
- Attend project workshops offered by your county Extension office or local club
- Attend events offered by after school programs and libraries about interesting topics
Project Manuals & Exhibit Requirements
- Welcome to 4-H: An Introduction to 4-H
- Collectibles: My Favorite Things
- Bienvenidos a 4-H
Purchase manuals on the Shop Illinois 4-H Store.
View exhibit requirements and scoresheets on the Illinois State Fair page.
University of Illinois Extension staff that contributed to this resource include Martha Ebbesmeyer, Allie Johnston and Molly Sedig
4-H Spark Sheets are a collaborative effort of 4-H staff, volunteers, alumni and teens from across Illinois. A big thanks to the many contributors and reviewers!