4-H members in Illinois will join the 6 million youth across the country in celebrating National 4-H Week Oct. 1-7. Clubs around Illinois celebrate this week by highlighting the remarkable 4‑H youth in their communities and showcasing the incredible experiences that 4‑H offers young people. Partner organizations can show support by posting to their social media, printing posters for business windows, and taking part in Spirit Week! We sure to share your stories for #4HWeek to show how you are #IL4HGrown!
Ideas to celebrate!
Items marked with an asterisk have printables or other support linked at the bottom of the page!
- Post lawn signs in your windows/yard
- Do you know any alumni you could ask to post a sign in their yard or business as well?*
- Write letters to your congressional leaders or local legislators about how important 4-H is to you
- Take a plate of 4-H cookies to local businesses with an appreciation poster for them to post*
- Ask a local business if you or you and your club can decorate their windows for 4-H Week
- Take thank you flowers to all your club leaders
- Plant a tree in honor of 4-H
- Ask local civic organizations like Rotary, Exchange Club, etc. if you could give a talk or demonstration at the meeting
- Participate in our Online Sprit Week and share your photos! Tag @illinois4H on Instagram or send us your post in Facebook messenger for a chance to be featured on our stories/feed*
- Follow the 4-H Week Wearables Challenge!
- Ask your school if you can share a 4-H fun facts or information over the school announcements/newsletters/TV displays (thanks Oakdale Four Leaf Clovers for this idea!)
- Ask if you can set up a 4-H face painting booth at a school competition, event, or carnival!
- Ask local schools to add Join 4-H fliers to their backpack programs or make a flier about a 4-H week event to share*
- Host a daily 4-H trivia contest over the school announcements. Have the winners come see you for a small prize*
- Ask if you can host a 4-H Scavenger Hunt in a school group or team you are a part of *
- Make or purchase buttons for members to wear around school this week
- Challenge each member of your club to pass out two Bring a Friend invites to your next club meeting*
- Ask if you can decorate a school bulletin board or post fliers around local schools *
- Ask the elementary schools in your area if club members can come read a story or do an activity this week
- Decorate the lockers of your 4-H members*
With Your Club!
- Have a poster contest with your members and ask local businesses to display them in their windows
- Host a 4-H reunion for alumni in your county
- Set up an information booth at a store, fair, or other celebration (with permission)
- Decorate a bulletin board at your local library, Extension Office, or other public place
- Make 4-H Week Appreciation baskets and pass them out in teachers lounges, hospitals, first responder buildings, etc. This is a great way to show service learning and appreciation AND look for interested volunteers
- Ask the local newspaper if your club could contribute to a column or piece this week
- Ask a local morning or lifestyle show if you can appear on air as an individual or club to talk about 4-H and 4-H Week activities*
- Host a Design a Sign contest or event with blank yard signs and permanent markers and ask local businesses, farmers, or alumni to display the signs. Themes ideas could include: "4-H Allows Me to Be ..." or "5 Things I love about 4-H"
- Contact local radio stations to ask if you can record and submit PSA's to play during 4-H Week*
- Carve pumpkins with a 4-H logo and take them to area homes, businesses or have a photo contest to see which ones get the most likes
- Create a 4-H promotion to run at the local movie theater during preview
- Ask a local restaurants if they would use 4-H placemats during their meal service for the week!*
- Ask a local pizza place to add stickers to their pizza boxes this week*
- Ask a local coffee shop to add stickers to their coffee collars this week*
- Organize a Bring A Friend day at your club! Plan a special event for the meeting you invite friends to!*
- Organize something special to honor business partners and supporters like green and white balloons, green and white M&M's, etc.
- Share social media posts with alumni and supporters to post during the week*
- Host a phone-a-thon to call and thank local sponsors and donors
In Your Community!
- Ask a local bank to include bookmarks at their drive-thru facilities this week *
- Ask the local library to pass out bookmarks with their checkouts this week*
- Post 4-H fliers at schools, home school organizations, and youth-serving agency boards*
- Ask to add your 4-H week events to local community or parent group calendars
- Ask local grocery stores, feed stores, and more to include fliers as bag stuffers this week*
- Promote 4-H on local advertising signs, billboards, church message boards
- Have a county-wide or club community service day and have the members all report back what they did, then prepare an impact story about how important 4-H service is. Partner with your local Extension office to send out a media advisory for coverage of your event.
4-H Week Social Media
4-H Spirit Week
Business Window Signs
50 Ways to Celebrate