Learn food safety, food preparation, nutrition, and kitchen safety. Then participate in a culminating team food challenge event where youth plan, prepare, and present a dish.
- Food Advocacy
- Foods & Nutrition
- Healthy Living
For Youth Grades Middle and High School
- Exhibit their knowledge and skills when preparing and presenting a dish
- Learn from other team members
- Demonstrate teamwork while planning, preparing, and presenting their dish
- Practice public speaking when presenting their topic to judges
- Practice leadership within their group
- Participate in a new and exciting competitive event
- Practice proper food safety techniques and handling
- Youth will practice in teams to plan, prepare and present a dish with predetermined ingredients within 40 minutes in one of four categories – main dish, fruits and vegetables, breads and cereal, and nutritious snacks.
- Youth will participate in 6 to 8 practice sessions, using different ingredients for each session.
- Teams of youth will participate in the Illinois 4-H Food Challenge, create a dish using a predetermined set of ingredients, and present to judges.
Local high school family and consumer science teachers and students
Local volunteers with expertise in nutrition and food preparation, such as dieticians, dietetic students, chefs, or 4-H food judges