Meat Goats are one of the top 5 most popular species of livestock on a global scale. The 4-H Meat Goat project is crafted for members who are interested in learning more about raising meat goats. The meat goat project has developed as one of the fastest growing livestock projects, with an increasing demand for meat products in the United States. Learn how to select, raise and care for a meat goat.
Show Your Skills
- Develop a medical kit for goats
- Research goat meat markets
- Learn proper feeding of goats
- Gain knowledge about sound breeding, feeding, and management practices
Service and Leadership
- Hand out favorite goat recipes at your local grocery store
- Volunteer to help at the county fair market goat weigh in
- Invite other 4-H Members to tour your goat farm
- Lead a meat goat selection and feeding clinic
- Secure sponsorship for goat related awards
- Sell locally various goat soaps at a farmer’s market.
- Begin a local goat yoga class that focuses on movement.
- Develop and promote a weed eating/grazing business for local parks and pastures.
- Animal Identification (Various types) Animal management with record keeping
- Reproductive Technology (pregnancy determination, embryo transfer, and controlled light manipulation of breeding season of does
- Parasite Technology
- Establishing a goat meat grading system
- Pasture Management
Connecting with a Mentor
- Illinois Meat Goat Association
- Spend a day with a feed dealer or nutritionist
- Spend a day with a veterinarian or goat producer
- County 4-H workshops and shows
- Illinois State Fair Livestock
- Skill contest at the Illinois State Fair
- 4-H Junior Livestock Contest
- Illinois Junior Meat Association
- American Junior Boer Goat Association / shows
Project Manuals & Exhibit Requirements
- LEVEL 1: Just Browsing
- LEVEL 2: Growing with Meat Goats
- LEVEL 3: Meating the Future
Purchase manuals on the Shop Illinois 4-H Store.
View exhibit requirements and scoresheets on the Illinois State Fair page.
Illinois 4-H website - Goats
4-H Meat Goat Helper’s Guide
Penn State 4-H Meat Goat Project Guide
4-H Spark Sheets are a collaborative effort of 4-H staff, volunteers, alumni and teens from across Illinois. A big thanks to the many contributors and reviewers!