Insects are everywhere! Learn about some of the different types of insects that live near you and the important roles they play in the environment.
Show Your Skills
- Insect collection
- Create a map and display about migration
- Showcase examples of the life cycle of one or more insects
Service and Leadership
- Plant a pollinator garden
- Create a monarch waystation
- Provide habitat for beneficial insects
- Teach others about how insects are beneficial
- Start a BioBlitz at your school or local park
- Start a 4-H SPIN Club at your school
- Keep honey bees and sell honey
- Take pictures of the insects you find - submit them to a citizen science initiative
- Create a video discussing a particular insect
Connecting with a Mentor
- Talk with a local Master Gardener, Master Naturalist, or Extension employee
- Visit a local environmental education center
- Visit a honeybee farm, natural history museum or butterfly garden/center
- Participate in a BioBlitz
- Related Illinois citizen science projects:
- I-Pollinate - https://ipollinate.illinois.edu/
- Bee Spotter - https://beespotter.org/
Project Manuals & Exhibit Requirements
- Teaming with Insects 1
- Teaming with Insects 2
- Teaming with Insects 3
Purchase manuals on the Shop Illinois 4-H Store.
View exhibit requirements and scoresheets on the Illinois State Fair page.
4-H Spark Sheets are a collaborative effort of 4-H staff, volunteers, alumni and teens from across Illinois. A big thanks to the many contributors and reviewers!