Welcome, Rider! Did you know that bicycling is one of the most efficient forms of transportation? While many people ride bicycles, not everyone knows how to keep themselves safe while biking. Have you ever wondered...
- How much biking reduces your carbon footprint on Earth?
- What does it take to repair and maintain a bike?
- Why is it important to practice safe cycling skills?
Show Your Skills
- Display bicycle safety equipment
- Clean, lubricate, or fix a bike chain
- Demonstrate how to fix a flat tire
Service and Leadership
- Clean up local bike paths or organize a fundraiser for a bike trail
- Organize a recycled bicycle drive – seek donations of unused bicycles, repair them, then donate to individuals needing a bike
- Collaborate with your local bicycle shop or police department to conduct a bicycle safety workshop for a summer day camp
- Organize or lead a bicycle rodeo in your community or school
- Organize a social ride, bike to work day, or an open street event
- Design an app for local cyclists to use to analyze optimal riding conditions for the day
- Provide and distribute a playlist for cyclists to listen to for cardio during cycling
- Volunteer at a local bike shop to get hands on experience fixing and marketing bicycles
- Design a helmet blueprint for a 3-D printer
- Make a GPS map for your local bike trail users
Connecting with a Mentor
- Bicycle shop owner
- Bicycle club
- Local Police Department
- Bicycle rodeo
- Recycled bicycle drive
- Bicycle Safety Awareness Week
- Cycling marathon
- Citywide “Ride Your Bike to Work Day”
Project Manuals & Exhibit Requirements
- Level 1: Bicycling for Fun
- Level 2: Wheels in Motion
Purchase manuals on the Shop Illinois 4-H Store.
View exhibit requirements and scoresheets on the Illinois State Fair page.
“Bicycle Adventures” 4-H Curriculum
Effingham County Fairbook
Patti Logan, Program Coordinator, University of Illinois Extension Effingham County
4-H Spark Sheets are a collaborative effort of 4-H staff, volunteers, alumni, and teens from across Illinois. A big thanks to the many contributors and reviewers!