The Illinois 4-H Junior Livestock Conference is a fun-filled overnight weekend event that is open to any 4-H member in 7th, 8th, and 9th grade. This program provides leadership and team building activities as well as exciting hands-on opportunities built around the science and disciplines of livestock production and exhibition. Through the use of hands-on stations, participants will "glove-up" and explore the science of artificial insemination, dissection, suturing techniques, biosecurity, wound dressing, injection technique, carcass assembly, and much more. Participants will also engage in a livestock skillathon, quiz bowl, and learn about social media marketing. This conference is hosted by the State 4-H Livestock Ambassador Team.
Investigate a Livestock Mystery during the 2017 Farm Forensics Youth Livestock Conference. This year's conference will help you unravel the mysteries of animal health, herd management and livestock marketing. The conference is open to 4-H members in 7th - 9th grades. Cost includes Saturday lunch, dinner and Sunday breakfast, as well as a commemorative t-shirt and all conference materials.
You'll go through each of these stations as you explore the mysteries of the farm.
- Scoping Out the Suspect: Help us scope out the suspect as we zoom in on DNA and the bizarre world of bacteria. In this session we will be working through the case as we extract, zoom and solve together!
- Deceitful Dissection: Come explore the exciting world of dissection. With scalpels and scissors we will investigate the missing pieces of the mystery. Be prepared to reveal a vital clue
- Order in the Court: Step into the courtroom with our livestock ethics committee as we discuss good production practices and debate a simple livestock case. Members will participate as a jury, the courtroom audience and plaintiffs or defendants. Participants will debate against anti-agriculture organizations by offering their personal “testimonies,” objecting to false livestock advertisements and ultimately working to influence the verdict of the judge.
- Cracking the Chromosomes: Joins us as we investigate the world of genetics and the mysteries of electrophoresis. In this session, you will solve the secrets with your sweet tooth as we study genetics and dig deeper into DNA.
- Defending the Herd: Keep your eye out, the Stockyard Stalkers are on the loose! In this workshop you will examine footage to learn about motives of anti-agriculture activists and how to defend your position if you are ever “under attack.”
Cancellations & Refunds
Cancellations must be received in writing to Brett Santo @ email@example.com. Requests received before January 2, 2017 will receive a full refund. Requests received from Jan. 2 -16 will receive an 85% refund. Refunds received Jan. 17-30 will receive a 50% refund. No refunds will be permitted after Jan. 30.
Chaperones are needed for the event. Interested adults (at least 21 years of age) may apply by contacting Brett Santo @ firstname.lastname@example.org. The cost for chaperones is provided by the Illinois 4-H Foundation.
The cost of this program is offset with financial contributions from the Illinois 4-H Foundation, Farm Credit Illinois, and Farm Bureau.