Make your mark at the 2021 Junior Livestock Conference!
There are so many ways to make your mark on the livestock industry, whether it's identifying disease, branding a steer, or developing a new feed ration. This program provides leadership and team building activities as well as exciting hands-on opportunities built around the science and disciplines of livestock production and exhibition. In order to hold this event in person, participant numbers will be reduced and the conference will be offered on April 24 and then repeated on April 25.
COVID Protocols and accommodations information are available through the event registration link.
This conference is hosted by the State 4-H Livestock Ambassador Team with support from the Illinois Farm Bureau.
Saturday – April 24th, (Repeated Sunday April 25th)
- 9:30 – 10:15 am Registration
- 10:15 am Team Building and Networking
- 11:00 am State 4-H Livestock Ambassador Team Introductions
- 11:15-12:15pm Glove-up Sessions I & II
- 12:15 – 1:00 pm Box Lunch
- 1:00 - 3:30 pm Glove-up Sessions III - VII
- 3:30 – 4:45 pm Closing Keynote – Tasha Bunting, Associate Director Commodities and Livestock Programs, Illinois Farm Bureau
- 4:45 – 5:00 pm Conference Evaluation
- 5:00 pm Adjourn
There are so many ways to “Make your Mark” in the livestock industry. Whether you are identifying a disease, branding a steer, developing a new feed ration, or being a leader in the industry – you can make your mark in all things you do.
1) Poultry, Egg Judging, and Breed I.D.
Which came first – the chicken or the egg? From candling to egg judging, join us to understand the “egg”citing world of poultry. Not only will you learn to evaluate fertility in an egg, but you can preserve your knowledge by taking home a chick embryo.
2) Mastitis Testing, Milking a Cow
Come join us and try your hand at milking our mechanical cow and put your “Mark” of approval on a sample of milk before it heads to fridge!
3) Making Rope Halters, Saddle Fitting, Livestock Knots
By using the power of your own two hands, you can saddle up and lead the way to making your mark in your species by learning how to make temporary halters and how to tie safe and proper knots.
4) Livestock I.D. (branding, tagging, notching, etc.)
Make your mark by learning a wide variety of identification techniques utilized in livestock over time. This workshop will teach the importance of permanent identification, and offer hands-on experience of many methods including ear notching, tagging, tattooing, hot and cold branding, EID, microchipping and DNA tagging.
5) Nutrition Experiments, Feed I.D., Hay Judging
Join us in taking a closer look at ruminant and non-ruminant nutrition and the raw materials that go into these rations. Participants will engage in hands-on feed I.D., formulation, and digestion experiments.
6) Hoof Trimming, Bandaging, Wound Care
This station incorporates live animals for your hands-on bandaging, wrapping, and wound care practice. Hoof trimming will be explained and demonstrated by instructors.
7) Magna Wave Laser Therapy
Watch a live demonstration and learn various uses for magna wave laser therapy.
If you need a reasonable accommodation to participate, contact Carla Blue, event coordinator, at email@example.com. Early requests are strongly encouraged to allow sufficient time to meet your access needs.
- Emergency Medical Form Click Here: The form must be completed and sent in by April 12, 2021. Specific instructions are included on the online registration form. Be sure to download the form and save it with the attendee's name in the file name.
The cost of this program is offset with financial contributions from the Illinois 4-H Foundation and Illinois Farm Bureau.