Superior Young Producer Scholarship Program: The program is sponsored by the Illinois State Fair. Three $1,000 scholarships are awarded each year in dairy; and nine scholarships are distributed among beef, sheep and swine project members. Contests are held during the Illinois State Fair. Members must compete in 3 to 4 individual segments that include: management test, skill-a-thon, judging contest, and/or meat identification or testing. Contestants must be 14 - 18 years of age to compete.
- Dairy: August 21, 2021
- Combined Beef/Sheep/Swine; August 11, 2021
Guidelines for 2021 Contest
- The SYPA contest is open to any youth 14 years of age or older (on Jan. 1, 2021) who are current Illinois 4-H members who are enrolled in that project.
- Participants do not have to be exhibiting animals at the Illinois State Fair in order to participate in the SYPA contest.
- Entries are requested prior to the State Fair Junior Shows and available at the Illinois State Fair website.
- A participant may receive only one scholarship throughout their career. Further, after receiving a scholarship in any of the specie award areas, the eligible 4-H member may participate in other specie award programs in following years but will be eligible to receive phase awards only.
- In order to receive a scholarship, the 4-H post-secondary trade school, or advanced educational program.
- Scholarship monies are paid directly by the Illinois 4-H Foundation to the institution where the student is enrolled.
Prairie Farms Dairy sponsors the awards Dairy contests.
CME sponsors awards for the Beef, Sheep, and Swine contests.
The Land of Lincoln Purebred Livestock Breeders Association and the Illinois State Fair provide award plaques.