The Superior Young Producer Awards Scholarship Program is offered by the Illinois State Fair to 4-H members in Beef, Sheep, Swine, Dairy, and Horses as an educational activity at the Illinois State Fair to promote youth development and personal growth. Three $1,000 scholarships will be provided in horses and three $1,000 scholarships will be provided in dairy. A total of nine $1,000 scholarships will be provided in a combined contest for beef, sheep, and swine contestants.
- Horse: July 25
- Dairy: Aug. 18
- Combined Beef/Sheep/Swine; Aug. 8
Guidelines for 2018 Contest
- The SYPA contest is open to any youth 14 years of age or older (on Jan. 1, 2018) who are current Illinois 4-H members who are enrolled in that project.
- Participants do not have to be exhibiting animals at the Illinois State Fair in order to participate in the SYPA contest.
- Entries are requested prior to the State Fair Junior Shows and available at the Illinois State Fair website.
- A participant may receive only one scholarship throughout their career. Further, after receiving a scholarship in any of the specie award areas, the eligible 4-H member may participate in other specie award programs in following years but will be eligible to receive phase awards only.
- In order to receive a scholarship, the 4-H post-secondary trade school, or advanced educational program.
- Scholarship monies are paid directly by the Illinois 4-H Foundation to the institution where the student is enrolled.
Compeer Financial sponsors awards for the Horse and Dairy contests.
CME sponsors awards for the Beef, Sheep, and Swine contests.
The Land of Lincoln Purebred Livestock Breeders Association and the Illinois State Fair provide award plaques.