Follow along with Livingston County 4-H as they embark on a virtual butterfly adventure. Learn all about these creatures while watching them grow from larvae into butterflies!
- Lesson 1: Understanding the butterfly life cycle
- Lesson 2: Unboxing the butterfly box
- Lesson 3: What do caterpillars eat?
- Lesson 4: What is molt?
- Lesson 5: Instar what?
- Lesson 6: Butterfly snack time
- Lesson 7: A closeup look at caterpillars
- Lesson 8: What's going on in there?
- Lesson 9: Our Painted Lady larvae grow
- Lesson 10: Getting close to stage 3
- Lesson 11: The transformation begins
- Lesson 12: Five pupa move in
- Lesson 13: Metamorphosis
- Lesson 14: Hindwings, compound eyes, proboscis
- Lesson 15: How do butterflies eat?
- Lesson 16: The butterflies are here
- Lesson 17: Watcha eating there, little buddy?
- Lesson 18: Butterfly release party
If you've had fun learning about butterflies, we hope you'll sign up for the entomology project!
- Understanding the honey bee (Purdue Extension)
- Working with honey bees (Purdue Extension)
- Advanced beekeeping methods (Purdue Extension)
- Guide to preserving and mounting insects for display (University of Illinois Extension)
- Instructions for insect display boxes (University of Illinois Extension)
- Insect identification labels (University of Illinois Extension)
Content created by Sara Attig, Extension Program Coordinator, Livingston County.