Teach kids to make healthy choices, learn about body systems, explore health professions, keep their bodies healthy, and increase their daily physical activity.
- Biological Science
- Civic Engagement
- Healthy Living
- Personal Development
- Personal Safety
For Youth Grades 4-5
- Youth will demonstrate increased knowledge of the relationship between physical activity and personal health.
- Youth will gain increased awareness of health profession careers.
- Youth will complete the eight week Walk across Illinois challenge by engaging in 30 minutes of daily physical activity.
- Youth will become physically fit and develop habits that reduce the risk of chronic disease.
- Eight sessions
- Health profession students or community health professionals engage students in creative exercise activities, experiential study of boy systems, and an exploration of health professions.
- Eight-week physical activity component. One example: Walk Across Illinois - Teams of four youth each complete 30 minutes of daily physical activity for 8 weeks, which is the equivalent of walking across Illinois north to south.
- Classroom sessions engage students in additional learning experiences in nutrition, healthy snacks, physical activity, or health profession careers.
Local hospitals and wellness centers can provide field trip locations for participants
Local healthcare professionals, such as doctors, nurses, pharmacists, physical therapists, paramedics can provide hands-on activities to demonstrate their profession
Nursing and medical students can develop lessons to lead as part of the program
Local fitness instructors, such as yoga, Zumba or cross fit can lead activities as part of the experience