4-H Horse projects and activities provide an interactive, hands-on way for youth to explore raising and showing horses while developing life skills. These projects are designed to provide you an opportunity to handle, care for, and ride horses, as well as learn about the equine industry. 4-H members may own or lease a horse for this project. Many activities do not require the member to own a horse. There are many ways you can get involved:
- Join a club near you and enroll in a 4-H horse project.
- Test your equine management knowledge and compete in 4-H Hippology Contests.
- Join a team and compete in the 4-H Horse Bowl Contest.
- Speak up and compete in the 4-H Horse Speaking Contest.
- Practice riding and compete in a 4-H Horse Show.
Horse Lease/Ownership Form
Youth exhibiting horses at the Illinois State Fair Junior Horse Show must complete a Horse Lease/Ownership Form and submit it to the state fair by June 1. Many counties also require this ownership paper and often have an earlier deadline of May 1. If you are in the horse project and exhibiting a horse, please check with your local Extension office. DOWNLOAD FORM.
There are several contests to test your equine skills. Check out the guidelines in the resource section below.
- Horse Judging Contest: February 29
- Horse Hippology Contest: April 18
- Horse Speaking Contest: April 18
- Horse Bowl Contest: April 19
Regional Qualifying Contests
Only youth who qualify in a regional contest may compete in the state horse bowl and hippology contests. Choose your closest contest from the list below:
- SOUTHERN REGIONAL HORSE BOWL & HIPPOLOGY: March 28 at Southern Illinois University at Carbondale. Contact Melissa Wilson: firstname.lastname@example.org, 618-252-8391.
- NORTHEAST REGIONAL HORSE BOWL & HIPPOLOGY: March 28 at Emily G. Johns Intermediate School (off Rt. 34). Contact Kim Eisnaugle: email@example.com
- NORTHWEST REGIONAL HORSE BOWL & HIPPOLOGY: April 4 at Knoxville High School; Contact Shelby Carlson: firstname.lastname@example.org, 309-342-5108.
- CENTRAL REGIONAL HORSE BOWL & HIPPOLOGY: April 4 at Lincoln Land College, Springfield. Contact Carissa Davis: email@example.com, 217-732-8289.