States’ 4-H International’s mission is to enhance world understanding and global citizenship, which we believe can be achieved through living with a local host family and immersing oneself in another culture. Travel the world. Learn new languages. Meet new people. Appreciate new cultures. Summer exchange programs open up the world to young people. States’ 4-H Summer Outbound programs provide American 4-H youth with the opportunity to travel to foreign countries for a cultural immersion experience. Outbound delegates live with volunteer host families and engage in experiential learning about a new way of life. Delegates experience aspects of daily life that allow them to more deeply understand both their host culture and their own culture. Our network of like-minded international partners recruit host families and plan enrichment activities for the delegation.
- Japan 8-week: June 12—August 8, 2019
- Costa Rica: June 20—July 19, 2019
- Finland: June 26—July 27, 2019
- Japan 4-week: July 10—August 8, 2019
- South Korea: July 15—August 13, 2019
- Age 12-18 for Japan & South Korea and age 15-18 for Costa Rica & Finland from the first day to the last day of the exchange.
- Adult chaperones accompany the group during international travel and remain in-country to provide support during the exchange.
- States’ 4-H provides Program Handbooks that cover everything from packing lists to financial matters to cultural information.
- States’ 4-H also has a group conference call in late spring and a National Departure Orientation the day before the international flight.
- In addition, each state may conduct a spring orientation covering these topics.
- No prior language study is required, but it certainly is helpful! Our international partners have English-speaking staff on hand to assist you in communication.