The Illinois 4-H Junior Leadership Conference (JLC) is a fun-filled event that provides junior high 4-H members (7th & 8th grades) a look into opportunities in Illinois 4-H and helps start their leadership journey. Members gain skills related to 4-H projects and leadership, such as communication, decision making, and teamwork while engaging in activities.
Save the date for the 2021 4-H Junior Leadership Conference, The Game of 4-H Leadership!
Date: October 16 or October 17 (register for one day)
Conference Check In: 9:00 – 9:30 AM, each day
Conference Program begins: 9:30 AM
Pick Up: by 5:00 PM each day.
JLC Workshop Descriptions
1. Rolling With the Punches: Fake left, fake right, and keep failure out of sight! Joining our workshop will help you learn how to overcome obstacles that life is sure to throw at you. By the end of this workshop, you will have all the tools you need to be a leader in your community!
2. Colorful Me: Join us to discover your personality color! Once you learn more about yourself, you will have the chance to work with like-minded peers as you learn about others’ unique perspectives!
3. Take Flight with 4-H: High-speed racing. Putting out fires. Seeding over fields. Outer space. Autonomous delivery. What do these things have in common? They all use drones! In this workshop, participants will use the knowledge that they will learn about drone technologies and block-based coding to program a drone that will take part in a chutes and ladders style game. Join us for a flying good time!
4. Building Up Your Public Speaking Skills: Have you ever been scared to present in front of your 4-H group or an audience? Join us to learn about the key elements of public speaking while playing Jenga. Build up your confidence before the tower tumbles!
5. Ready, Set, GROW! Be ready to dive in and get your hands dirty as we learn how to grow plants from cuttings! Along the way, we will practice our leadership skills as we explore the world of horticulture. At the end of this hands-on workshop, you can continue the exploration with your own geranium cuttings.
Scholarships: Twenty $50 scholarships are available for 4-H member attendees who need financial assistance in order to attend. To apply, print and submit a scholarship application by October 1, 2021. If accepted for a scholarship, 4-H members will receive a check following attendance at the event. The scholarship link is provided on the event webpage, https://4h.extension.illinois.edu/events/illinois-4-h-junior-leadership-.... We appreciate the support of the Illinois 4-H Foundation for providing these scholarships.
COVID 19 PRECAUTIONS & EXPECTATIONS: The following COVID-19 social distancing and safety practices reflect requirements of the Illinois Department of Public Health and University of Illinois event guidelines and will be in place at this event.
1. Face coverings are required for all youth, spectators, volunteers, and staff.
2. Everyone in attendance will practice social distancing during the event, including maintaining six feet of separation (indoors from those who are not in their households. To allow for social distancing, building and spectator capacity may be limited based on current public health department guidelines.
3. Handwashing and sanitizing stations will be provided throughout the venue.
4. Anyone who has experienced COVID-19 symptoms within the previous seven days is asked to stay home. COVID-19 symptoms include fever, cough, loss of taste or smell, or shortness of breath.
If any of these guidelines presents a challenge for you or you need any accomodation to attend this event, please contact Carla Blue at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are happy to discuss what accommodations are possible so that we can look for ways that all youth can safely participate in this event. Accommodation requests should be submitted at least a week in advance.